Transforming QLeave’s Long Service Leave system with Microsoft Dynamics 365
QLeave provides long service leave to workers in Queensland’s building and construction, contract cleaning and community services industries. The schemes are funded by employers in these industries.
The building and construction industry in Queensland serves approximately 700,000 workers and 50,000 employers and the scheme grants eligible employees access to paid leave entitlements for long service leave.
QLeave was running its building and construction industry scheme on an aging core line-of-business application known as BRACS. Inviga was engaged in February 2019 to transition QLeave from BRACS to a more modern, comprehensive solution based on Microsoft Dynamics 365. The project aimed at not only migrating data but also developing a fully functional customer portal and optimising operations to be more efficient.
- Aging Infrastructure: The existing BRACS system was no longer supported and outdated, causing limitations in scalability and efficiency.
- Data Complexity: Mapping, transforming, and migrating millions of rows of data from the old system to Dynamics 365 was a significant hurdle.
- High Volume: Given that QLeave serves a large number of workers and employers, any solution needed to handle a high volume of claims and transactions seamlessly.
- Business Continuity: Transitioning off BRACS without disrupting ongoing operations was a significant concern.
Inviga provided multifaceted services and solution:
- Solution Design & Technical Architecture: Designed the complete architecture for the new system tailored to meet QLeave’s specific needs.
- Dynamics 365 Implementation: Installed, configured, and customised Dynamics 365 Field Service Module, including reverse engineering of complex service calculations.
- Customer Portal: Built a secure, custom portal for employers and workers to access the leave management system.
- Data Migration and Synchronisation: Designed and built an Orchestrator solution in Microsoft Azure to manage data mapping, syncing, and incremental migration for data from BRACS to Dynamics 365.
- Data Cleansing: Designed and implemented a duplicate detection and merge tool to clean historical data, along with considerable data cleaning activities.
- Documentation: Comprehensive documentation was created in a Wiki format, allowing it to serve as a ‘living document’ for ongoing solution enhancements and support.
Benefits of Solution
- Efficiency: The automation features have made the process of managing long service leave and transactions significantly more efficient.
- Scalability: The new Dynamics 365-based system is scalable, ensuring that the system can grow as QLeave’s requirements evolve.
- User Experience: The custom portal has improved the user experience for both employers and employees, enabling easier access to essential information and services.
- Data Integrity: The robust data migration and cleaning tools have ensured that all migrated data is accurate and useful, providing a strong foundation for analytics and reporting.
By leveraging Inviga’s expertise and Microsoft Dynamics 365 capabilities, QLeave has successfully modernised its leave management system, achieved operational excellence and enhanced stakeholder satisfaction.