Revitalising the Intranet for Cairns Catholic Education
Catholic Education in the Diocese of Cairns had an intranet system for internal communications and to provide staff with easy access to information and resources. However, the intranet infrastructure no longer aligned with the evolving needs of the organisation. With Microsoft Teams becoming a vital communication tool and the prominence of school portals, there was a clear demand for a more integrated, user-friendly, and efficient intranet system, to be developed on SharePoint online.
Feedback from the staff pinpointed several challenges with the current intranet:
- Usability Concerns: The system was described as “clunky” with non-intuitive user experience.
- Search Inefficiencies: Searches frequently yielded unexpected results or multiple versions of the same document, causing confusion.
- Inconsistent Branding: Disparities in branding elements hindered the platform’s cohesion.
- Limited Centralisation: The intranet wasn’t the go-to hub for launching other business systems or for information retrieval, making emails a dominant means of communication.
- Insufficient Analytics: The absence of comprehensive analytics made it challenging to discern the platform’s highly and scarcely used sections.
- Integration Needs: The widespread use of Microsoft Teams and school portals necessitated an integrated design for the new intranet.
Inviga, leveraging their expertise from similar projects, embarked on a two-phased approach to redesign the Cairns Catholic Education Intranet.
Phase 1: Plan
- Requirements Definition: Initiated a condensed requirements gathering process based on previous projects to fast-track the design process.
- Solution Design: This encompassed elements such as top-level navigation, site architecture, home page design, branding uniformity, and a refined search system. Also, the installation of the Application Insights tool was recommended to capture user behavior on the current intranet.
Phase 2: Implementation
- Stage 1: While building the core functions based on the high-level design, detailed designs for specific pages and functionalities were formulated.
- Stage 2: Following the detailing phase, the new intranet system was built and tested rigorously. The final solution incorporated training for Cairns Catholic Education staff, content creation, go-live activities, and a complete handover of the system.
The project was characterised by close collaboration between Inviga and Cairns Catholic Education, ensuring transparency and adjustments based on feedback throughout the project.
Benefits of the Solution
- Enhanced User Experience: A streamlined intranet design ensures easy navigation and intuitive use.
- Improved Search Capabilities: The refined search system provides relevant and accurate results, eliminating confusion.
- Consistent Branding: Uniform branding across the site fosters organisational unity.
- Centralised Platform: The redesigned intranet serves as a hub for launching other business systems and disseminating information.
- Informed Decision Making: With advanced analytics from Application Insights, decisions can be data-driven, ensuring that the intranet aligns with user needs.
- Seamless Integration: The integration of Microsoft Teams and school portals offers a holistic platform for staff communication and information access.
The comprehensive overhaul of the Catholic Education Intranet for the Diocese of Cairns signifies more than just a technological upgrade; it represents a transformative step towards fostering better communication, efficient resource sharing, and a unified digital experience for all staff members. By addressing the inherent challenges of the previous system and leveraging state-of-the-art solutions tailored to Cairns Catholic Education’s specific needs, information is easily accessible, collaboration is effortless, and the potential for growth and innovation is boundless.
With continuous support and the adaptability of the new intranet, Cairns Catholic Education stands well-prepared to face the challenges of the digital age while staying true to its core mission of education and service.